Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Writing this isn't hard. What gives with my novel?

I'm about ready to pick up my novel and start writing again. I'm tired of just talking about it. 22,000 words is too far to have come not to complete the damn thing. I'm ready to move it out of my WiPs (Works in Progress) folder and move it to my Completed folder. I have so much in my head to write for it, just need to find the time to write it. I need to stop playing Xbox and pick up my pen, figuratively, and finish the book! I play to dedicate the book to my son's memory. That gives me even more motivation to make it good and to FINISH it. I already have ideas for the sequel and "threequel" books also. If I can ever prove it to myself that I can finish the first one.

I have other ideas in the pipeline of my mind. I want to write a series of short stories they may or may not be related to one another, some may have similar themes, or similar characters, or just similar subject matters, but not really all tie-in with each other. I think I may be a sprint-writer, not a long distance writer. Maybe that's my problem. Novels are too daunting to me. Too grand for me...at least until I see that I'm successful at it.

Ultimately, I'd LOVE to be able to work from home, just writing original thoughts and/or from things that have inspired me. I want to be able to fully support my family, to keep Feliz and Emily home. Not having to send Feliz to work also and Emily away to daycare or whatever.

When I think of that as an option, it excites me, but I can't seem to find true motivation to WRITE. Just motivation to WANT to write, if you follow me. I WANT to be successful and provide for my family, but I've got some mental block that's keeping me from putting myself to work. I need to breakthrough. I need a breakthrough.

For kicks, does anyone have anything they'd like me to write about? In short or in long form? I'm open to suggestions...not that I can promise I'll finish the piece that you suggest...

Come to think of it, I think my own negativity may be part of the problem. I need to stay positive and focused.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it, bro. As for suggestions, I have none. Just put me in one of your books or short stories and I'll continue to be your friend. lol

    ReplyDelete